3 Silly Job Interview Questions and Answers

Posted By: Staff Editor In: Job Seeker - Interview

I have several friends who are looking for jobs and sometimes we like to sit back and share our interview horror stories. Let me tell you, some of these people could tell you stories that would curl your hair, but what makes me laugh the most are the silly interview questions. Of course, I do realize that many of the questions that interviewers ask are standard and the company they work for requires them to ask certain questions, even if they personally think it's silly.

That being said, here are 3 of the silliest job interview questions and answers:

• What's your greatest weakness? - I hate this one. Really, what do you say? Some people think that it's best to answer it by giving one of their strengths. For example, they could say "I'm a workaholic". Which isn't a great answer, even if it were true. In fact, if your strongest weakness is truly that you work to hard, you should make up a better answer because no one is going to believe yours. If you don't want to take that route, then you'll have to make up a weakness because if you answer the question honestly, you're not going to get the job. After all, who is going to say "I like to steal office supplies" or "I can't resist stealing my co-worker's lunch from the fridge." There is a time and place for honesty, and a job interview isn't always it.
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? - This question has always baffled me. The truth is that, frankly, I have no idea what I will be doing in 5 years. In fact, when I try to picture myself 5 years from now, I just hope that I'm still alive. So, I'm not sure what the interviewer is expecting my answer to be, but I know that "I'll be working somewhere else.", "Working somewhere" and "I'll probably be retired by then." are all not very good answers. The best way to answer this one is to just say that you plan to continue to expand your skills and grow in your career. It's just vague and non-committal enough to really impress and interviewer.
  • Why should I hire you? - It seems that this questions isn't being asked as often anymore, and I, for one, am eternally grateful. I realize that this is the question that every hiring manager has in their mind, but this question is usually asked in an almost hostile tone of voice. The interviewers used to practice being as condescending as possible in order to "see what the applicant was made of". Now, the questions is just a great way to tell if the boss is a jerk or not.

What other interview questions do you hate? Please share your thoughts in the comments.

Comments
Posted by: Melissa Kennedy
Annie, I hear ya! I hate it when interviewers ask too many questions about my personal life. It's really none of their business.Teddy - Where do you see yourself in 5 years is really a tough question. Just be careful that your answer doesn't sound as though you are open for whatever comes your way. Hiring managers do want to hear some ambition in your answer.Debra - When it's your turn to ask question, be sure to ask if there is any reason why they would be unwilling to hire you. However, when they ask the question, it might not be a good idea to make them have to come up with an answer. Answering a question might sound intriguing and confident in your head, but to others it can come off as lazy and vague.
Posted by: Annie C
Aside from work, what do you do in your spare time?I hate this question I've been asked recently and I'd like to answer "none of your business."  I'm here to discuss work not whatever else I might do (that's personal.) Is this question illegal?
Posted by: Teddy F
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Imply that job satisfaction is more important than job title.  I have responded to this in the past that I do not want to limit myself to any specific job title, but that it is much more important to me to be in a position that best uses my expertise, skills and talents while allowing me to continue to grow and learn and be challenged.  I want  be in a position that when when asked about my company or what I do for employment, I am excited and proud to be able to talk about my job. Shorter answer and a little less cheesy is that I want to be in a position in which I am successful but also challenged and can learn new skills. That way you can imply that you are dedicated and hard working, and demonstrate ambition to progress without sounding like you are looking at the current job or company as a rung on your ladder. It also doesn't box you in to a certain job title or employment level but talks about job satisfaction as more important than job title.
Posted by: Debra E
I think when asked: "Why should I hire you?" I think it should be turned around and ask back "Why wouldn't you hire me?"
Posted by: Gwen T
Where do you see yourself in 5years?   It will depend on the needs of the customers and industry changes - I will be a leader in trend changes.
Posted by: Melissa Kennedy
Thanks for the great comments! These questions are designed to trip you up - that's why being prepared for them is so important.@Laura, I hate that one too. @Kari, you don't have to answer those questions and they shouldn't be asking them. When they do, just say that you would prefer not to answer and try not to make a big deal out of it. However, this is a huge red flag that you probably won't want to work for that company.@Yolanda, thanks! @Mark, you're right, some employers are using the tight job market as a free pass to mistreat employees. Perhaps it's time for a union job - oh that's right, unions are supposed to be a bad thing. @Marte, since it's almost always the first question, why not write something clever and memorize it. Make sure you can say it under stress. That way, you'll start the interview on a good note and not have that "duh" moment at the beginning. It will give you a confidence boost.@SJJ LOL! @Brenda, most interviewers want you to ask questions. I don't think yours was out of line.@Karen, do some research on the company and use that questions to show that you know something about the job. Come up with where you see yourself with the company. Don't worry, it doesn't have to be correct. The main thing is that you show that you've given it some thought. If it's a job you really want, you've probably already daydreamed about what it would be like to work there, so use that to craft your answer.@Bill, what a great story! Not everyone can get away with that type of answer. But, it shows that you have the charm to be a great attorney.@Diana, that's a great answer. If it helps, I'm not a morning person either.@Linda, once I was asked, "If you were a car, what type of car would you be?"  As a woman who isn't up on cars, I didn't want to say, "A red one?".
Posted by: STELLA
When i am asked this question: what is your greatest weakness, i respond, i dont have one. I say : 'i make sure i understand my job compleetly and ask questions if i need  to, i am always on time, focused on my work and stay late if i have to'it is not braging it is the truth, that way you spend your time on your positives
Posted by: Laura P
Its hard to answer the question where I see myself in five years. I don't know it depends on where I'm working. Its kind of difficult when you don't have your dream job.I'm in my late forties I don't have the same outlook as a 22 year-old.
Posted by: Kari G
My pet peeve? When they ask if you're married. 1) It's illegal, and 2) It's really none of their business.  Oh, my other pet peeve? Where my political affiliations lie. Same answers. Plus a 3rd, one I'll probably voice - my political affiliations will have no bearing on my ability to do this job.Just sayin'.
Posted by: Yolanda M
Very helpful and humorous which is appreciated during job seeking.
Posted by: Mark R.
These are just questions designed to trip you up and leave you stammering and stuttering. The first two have nothing to do with your qualifications to do most jobs. The last one is a way of asking "what do you think you can do to for ME (or this company)? Only worded to make it intimidating to the job seeker. Maybe they're interested in knowing how much they can get away with abusing you once you are dependent on them for a paycheck! Indeed I have seen employers overall decline in respect for worker's individual rights as Americans. Especially when jobs are in short supply, it seems that most employers take that as they're cue to become more abusive and controlling over their employees. These new practices soon become accepted as normal because most people need a job too badly and won't dare object or make waves. Just one more way in which "Of the people, by the people and for the people" has been transformed into "Of the money, by the money and for the money". Is it going to take another revolutionary war in this country's future by the time enough people wake up and stand up for what America's founding fathers envisioned and built for us?
Posted by: James C
no answers to the questions
Posted by: Marte S
Tell me about yourself??? That is often the first question in the interview, and no matter how much I practice, I always have that "duh" moment before I answer. And I have spent 20+ years in the Employment and Training field!
Posted by: David C.
The approach I use for the "Greatest Weakness Question" is to say that "I think through things very thoroughly, and it may take me longer than others to draw the correct conclusion, but usually it is the right one".  This statement might suggest poor time management skills, but what I try and convey is that I don't make hasty decisions, and this "Perceived Weakness" could possibly be viewed as a strength, so in essence, answer the question by stating your "Perceived Weakness" and turn that into a strength.
Posted by: Deb O
One silly questions I had was  Why should we not hire you.I only had a second to answer not think, she said before the question.Answer I live in the opposite end of townAnother one is what have you been doing with yourself since you left your last job.I answered looking for a full time job is which is a full time job without getting paid.
Posted by: S.J. J
Greatest weakness?   Kriptonite.Where do I see myself in 5 years?    (1) Still walking around and breathing.  (2)  Tail gunner on a bread truck.Why should I hire you?   Because you need me.
Posted by: Katherine S
I wasn't impressed with this section
Posted by: Carol W
I was asked a tough question at my last interview; what should I remember about you.  I wasn't real confident in my answer.  I think I should have said that you were 45 minutes late and I was very patient waiting for you!
Posted by: Nancy M
Good article
Posted by: Anthony P
I have performed several interviews, and these questions are a way to catch someone up, but I do agree that being too honest isn't the right way to go.  Reading up on the company prior to your interview is your best bet to get an insider's view of what they are looking for.
Posted by: Anthony P
Posted by: Brenda E
The question I hate is "So tell me about yourself." Really do they want to know you like to go out and shot a gun at defenseless tree stumps. I can never think of anything to say and then when you do get the "60 second commercial" they don't even ask you. How about those 5 person panel interviews.You are already nervous and then you see all these people looking at you and asking stupid questions.   A question I asked the 5 people on the panel at my last interview after they asked why I wanted to work there was "How long have you worked here and do you like your job? This really shocked them. Unfortunately I didn't get the job. I've been out of work for 4 years and even went back to school and still can't find a job. They always say they hired someone with more experience,OMG hire me and I'll get more experience.
Posted by: Karen K
One of the stupid questions I always get is, how will you fit into our organization--gee if I knew this I would be stating it as part of my, "this what I do, and why I want the job--I always answer try to this when I answer tell me about yourself--another stupid question which should be answered as part of how I will fit into your organization.
Posted by: carmen f
very nice....ok now what do you answer? greatest ,strength...omg i hate these questions....
Posted by: Bill H
I was asked at an interview for admission to law school: why do you want to become an attorney?  I had thought that was a logical question I might be asked. I decided in advance to say: Do you want to hear the answer I made up, or do you want to hear the real reason?"  The head of the panel chuckled and asked which was more interesting?  I said that the made up one was routine and what they probably heard from every candidate they interviewed so I will skip thaT and just tell you that I have not got the slightest idea.  I have never met a lawyer before meeting you, but so far I am impressed.   I was admitted, literally on the spot with the comment that I gave the best interview of all the candidates  I retired after thirty seven years in practice.
Posted by: Magdalene N
When dealing with the first question of greatest weakness, that is a gotcha question.  The rule of thumb is to spend 1/3 of your response on a weakness and 2/3 on how you have turned that weakness around into a strength.    If you tend to stay late at work, stress on the fact that you have learned to write out and follow a schedule, thereby maximizing your time at work and being more productive.  Remember, the flip side of this coin is "what is your greatest strength", which should be easy for anyone on an interview.On the 5 year question, the goal of the interviewer is to find out what your "goals" are.  Is this just going to be a job for you, or are you going to be growing in your field and contributing to the company's bottom line.Indeed, I agree, the last question could be condescending, but give your elevator speech and build on  that.Good Luck
Posted by: Linda T
I was once asked "Are you a lucky person?"  I felt like answering with " I'll let you know when you hire me for the job."
Posted by: Connie K
I was asked this one a few years back..."when was the last time you used dipolmacy and describe the situation".  I did not know how to answer this question and told them I did not know....making me feel really stupid.  After all this time I still think about this question and I "STILL" can't come up with a good answer!!  Needless to say I didn't get the job and I have never been asked this question ever again in the many interviews I have had after that.
Posted by: Dawn V. M
I like the answers to these questions.  Another good question I don't know how to answer.  What are your goals if you are hired?  I would say My goal is to be the best employee  or worker I can be and not make any mistakes.   My weakness would be to procastinate too much.
Posted by: Vivian F
Should a hiring manager ask me "What is your greatest weakness?", are you saying I should not say that public speaking is my weak point? The truth is that it is not my favorite thing to do, but I have been doing some minor public speaking, and for the first time about two weeks ago, my heart was not in my throat. Isn't this a good thing that I can say that I am working to overcome this weak point?
Posted by: Chad D
It gave me an eye opener to the questions I have had in the past
Posted by: Diana T
For my weakness, I say I'm not an early morning person, which is 100% true and I am never applying for jobs that start in the early am, so it's never an issue to the interviewer. It usually gets a little laugh out of them and breaks a little of the tension.
Posted by: Linda K
I have a new one.  In a recent interview, I was asked, "If you were a car (long pause), how fast would you go?"  I, was all ready to say that I would be a T-Bird, until I heard the rest of the sentence.  To give myself a little more time to respond, I said, "That's a very interesting question!"  Without going into the greater detail I gave during the interview, I told them I would first need to know the landscape, i.e., city or country driving and that the type of car and personal circumstances (soccer mom driving team) would further determine my speed.  I did say that I would most likely push the envelope, but not enough to get a ticket.  Their response was priceless and they laughed so hard.  They said that was the best answer anyone had ever given to that question.  To date, I have now been on six interviews with the company and am waiting for the company job posting to expire and then I will give them a call to follow up.  Wish me luck! :)
Posted by: Brayone J
I can honestly say that i dont agree with those questions. It just seems as though you're being set up for failure from the beginning. Other type of answerable questions would be suffice i believe,,
Posted by: John H
I had an interview in NJ for a very large parking facility company.  They needed a Manager of Operations and I was a young 27 year old energetic applicant.  That was 30 years ago and still think about the question asked of me.The interview went well and the HR Mgr said just a minute I want someone to meet you.  I thought, great this is the boss.  In walked an older man, executive type.  He sat down and without introductions asked me, "Do I have parents"?  I said, "Yes".  He asked, "Do you love your Father"?  I said, "Yes, of course I do".With that he got up and left the room, nothing else being said.  A few minutes later the HR Mgr came into the room and said, "That's the end of the interview; we'll be in touch, Thank you".Never heard from them again.  I called a couple of times but was told the HR Mgr was busy, so leave a message.Thirty years and that question has bounced around in my head ever since then.  I challenge anyone to figure that one out.
Posted by: Kathryn D
Why should I hire you? Because if you don't someone else is going to.
Posted by: Amy D
I was asked, "Why should I hire you" in a very hostile tone from an interviewer.  I felt very offended and responded with, "after you interviewed me and received information regarding my experience and read my personality through this process, WHY NOT?".  He then thanked me, took me to the person I would be working under and spoke briefly with that person.  As I was pulling away in my car, the interviewer ran outside and asked me to marry him.  I did not set foot in that place again.  Even worse...the interviewer called my house twice after that, asking why I did not show up for my 2nd "working interview", which creeped me out.  To summarize,, I tend to be leery of people when they ask me, "Why should I hire you?".
Posted by: Rich N
I'm always bothered by "Why did you quit your last job" or "Why do you want to leave your current position".
Posted by: John P
My greatest strength is "I work too hard."My greatest weakness is "I work too hard."
Posted by: Ly N
Tell me about yourself?It is so unecessary question whereas my resume states already about myself matching with job.Do I have to repeat it? Or should I say to interviewer "Please don't be lazy, do your job by reading my resume again because you get paid to do so.  Hello?Smarter question is "Why you like to do this job??.By saying that interviewer will make opening door to see candidate closer and friendlier.  Interview with warming questions instead of threatening or scaling questions are formed the successful companies.The more jerk questions at interviews will get jerk employees.The questions that make candidates have to lie are not good questions.Happiness of human being on earth can not bebuilt on lies.  Otherwise, this world still has the wars, killing, robbing, homeless, stealing....
Posted by: Angela C
The question: "How do you feel you will fit in?" I love being myself and working in a professional mature manner. If we all have the same common job,goals and work ethics for the company without bringing our personal buisness to work I feel the question may be biased. My thought.
Posted by: Joanne v
"tell me a little bit about yourself". I hate this question.  I want to answer, " What you see is what you get, and you have my resume in front of you".
Posted by: joe W
Be especially careful with salary question in that you don't bid yourself out of a career. How much are you expecting to earn?You don't know how much the position is paying. If the salary is $50k, and you ask for $60k, what do you suppose will happen? Or you bid $40k, you have just lost yourself $10k going in. Most employers would love to get the job done for less.
Posted by: Magally M
Thank you Melissa for your tips, they are really great. Please tell me how bad is to ask for the salary rate during the first interview.
Posted by: Kathleen T
Once when I answered I hope to be an entrepreneur and self-employed in five years (in answer to what will you be doing five years from now.) It lost me the job. They wanted me to say I would be working for them five years from then and would be a long-term employee. That is what they are looking for. They spend a lot of money training a new employee in, and they are looking for commitment, and longevity in an employee.
Posted by: Tonia W
The above three questions are among the many that are ridiculous. The question  "tell me something about yourself" is a bit much. The resume is there in front of you. I  think interviews should be informational only.
Posted by: Vicky C
Question #1:  "I believe I would like to answer that question with a question,  what area of this job description do you see as a weakness; one that has not been handled to your satisfaction?"    This may not be one of my weaknesses,  and so we can align to strengthen that area or eliminate it."
Posted by: Lisa P
I agree that those are 3 tough questions in an interview. Honestly, I wish they wouldn't ask them. I always get stumped when asked those questions. But you have made those questions easier to understand now. You have clarified it for me.
Posted by: Nancy W
I have these answers down.  But, what are the two questions we should be asking them?  In an interview last year, the interviewer asked me is I was not going to ask the two questions I should be asking.  I was clueless since we are taught not to discuss pay and benefits at first interview.  So, what should I have asked?  I asked her and she said she didn't know.  I felt like she was playing games with me and left uncomfortable.  Needless to say, my calls after the interview were not returned.
Posted by: Pat S
The strangest question I've ever heard in an interview was "If you were an animal, which one would it be?"  Seriously, what the heck?   And it wasn't even in a town that would be considered "touchy-feely, or new age."
Posted by: JP M
It sure would have been helpful to include good answers to these questions instead of saying "make something up"
Posted by: Stacey S
Obviously, interviewers/panelists have a "script" of questions that need to be asked.  I respect that.  I also tend to provide complete answers that often relate to subsequent question(s).  And yet they still ask me the questions to which I provide the same answers.  Following the script?  Not really listening to my answers?  Looking for consistency?  All of the above?
Posted by: Rusty W
Changes are evident some better than others!
Posted by: Eileen D.
I believe that all three questions are silly because you may wonder why are they being asked of you considering this job market and the dynamics of the job. But, overall, I feel those "silly" questions are  needed in order for the interviewer to know how you handle such a question and what your answer would be.  I try to be honest and give a quick response in order to move on. I have had many interviews over this past year and still looking for full time employment.  By now, after dozens of interviews, I feel that I'm good at reading the interviewer and know ahead of time what kind of questions I will be asked.  There hasn't been one question during an interview that surprises me and also tells me a lot about the company.  If the questions are really way off base, then I know their HR dept isn't good or they really didn't read my resume well enough or the interviewer uses the same silly questions for everybody and every job announcement. I need work but I also need to be happy in order to stay on the job.  So now, I check out the company and their website in detail and want to know as much about them as they about me. Resumes and cover letters don't tell it all about a person.  I wish we could just skip the whole cover letter bit and just send a simple email or text along with the resume and then tell the person all about me during the interview.
Posted by: Ramond G
The Question for me is",How often do you get sick?Sound like to me the interviewerWant to know how much time willI need off.
Posted by: Charles M
"Tell me about a time when you set a goal for yourself and achieved it." - Well, yesterday I decided I wanted to get up and take a shower this morning, so at 11:30 am, I got up and went to get my shower....
Posted by: Bernita C.
I had an "interesting" question in pre-interview telephone screen this week, "if you had to make a choice, which would you rather be without, electricity or water?"Gotta say I never had that question before.I choose electricity telling the screener there's a certain ambiance that comes from candle light.Earlier this summer, my sister was asked in an interview, "what would the headline be on your obituary?"BTW, I 've heard that the purpose of "silly" questions isn't so much to get your answer as to gauge your level of confidence in being able to formulate and think about a response.
Posted by: Marsha L
These questions will make you think.
Posted by: oluwatayo o
WHAT IS THE BEST ANSWER FOR WHY SHOULD I HIRE YOU?
Posted by: Anne J
It's a relief that someone else sees these questions as ridiculous as I do! Maybe if I could tell them my greatest strength first or if they could word it as '...where do you need to improve?' then these questions wouldn't sound so "silly".
Posted by: Lynne O
These are questions that alway make me nervous.  Thanks so much for the suggestions!
Posted by: Valerie D
I was recently asked why I should hire you! My response was that I was certain I was the best candidate for the job. My first thought was that I really wanted the job. It was three miles from my house and it was a job that I really wanted. Needless to say, it went to a more suitable candidate.
Posted by: Kevin E
I'm currently looking for my next employment opportunity, or "passion" as I've had that; and want it back.  So, I've had a fair share of interviews over the past few months.  I've not been asked the last of these three questions, but almost always the first two.  I've a standard across the board response, because when I've hired I avoided these questions.The first question I respond with, "at this point in my career I d\don't dwell on any weaknesses I have.  We all have them.  I find it much more beneficial to focus on my strengths, such as....."  Thus far, that gets the job done and has them back on the topic of what I have to offer the company.  The second I respond by saying, "I have no idea.  When I was asked that question five years ago, I would not have said "looking for a job' and I hope I won't be in five more years.  My goals are to work hard for "x" number of years and stay healthy and alive." I'll bet that's what most people would be focusing on. The interviewer almost always moves on, or makes a neutral response and acknowledges some level of agreement.
Posted by: Jennifer P
I did an interview where the first question was "How would you improve our show"? I asked if that was part of the Graphic Designer's role? He said "no but if it were what would I change"?  So I asked if they wanted to open demographics and he said yes and told me their average viewer was 48 years old. So then I gave him some ideas that may enable them to get teenager viewership. He seemed impressed. I felt set up from the beginning of the interview.
Posted by: Jeanettte G
These are the questions most likely to be asked. The stenght/weakness question was recently reworded in an interview. as "What job or activity has given you the most difficulty?"
Posted by: Deborah V
My response to "Why should I hire you?" is:  "Why not?"
Posted by: Mark O
These three questions can be bothersome... or they can be a chance to shine. I mean, you know that interviewers love to ask the questions because they periodically will catch an interviewee unprepared. So, think about each one ahead of time. The 5-year plan is a very good question because it lets the interviewer see if the subject thinks more than a month or two out. I interviewed a guy a couple years ago who told me that he had no clue what he'd be doing next year, but he'd probably have changed jobs three or four times by then. Given the training we were planning to give the guy, and the cost,... I don't want to hire anyone who is already thinking about where his next job will be after the position he's interviewing for...Yes, when I've been on the other side of the table, I've faced all three questions. Get the books, do the Google searches and be ready to answer a lot of these general questions ahead of time. They're not original ones...
Posted by: Ruth B
How about some real answers instead of what not to say?  How is this helping if we still don't have answers to these questions.
Posted by: Lynne R.
How about: 1) Tell us of a time you did not follow procedure/protocol and what was the outcome? 2) Why do you want this job?
Posted by: Patrick E
"Is there any question that I should have asked you and didn't?"Yes -- you should have asked me about that conviction for embezzlement and the charges I faced for murdering my last boss, but I was really glad that you didn't.
Posted by: Linda S
How about the scenario questions. I am in social services and many times a team will ask "What would you do if?" I feel like saying "What are your policies in these situations?" Every organization handles things differently so many times it feels like failing if you don't correctly guess what they would do. Loaded question....blaahhh
Posted by: Roxanne J
An interviewer actually asked "Have you ever had a supervisor you didn't like and why?"My response:  No.  I can't say that I have ever had a bad supervisor.  They were all different with different skills.  What I can tell you is the one that was the best was the one that rewarded you by complimenting on a job well done.
Posted by: Zandra B
"Three silly interview questions" is informative and from the research I've done; be prepared to answer these questions if you're job hunting.
Posted by: Charles H
I read an article a few weeks back that said "just hire someone". The data this person used show there was very little difference in the outcome if you hired just off the resume or going through a long interviewing process. So why are they asking these questions?
Posted by: Heather M
The greatest weakness for me is easy. I'm hearing impaired. I turn the tables in the interview. I say "I'm hearing impaired but I went through normal college and had a three summer jobs at a theme park." That gets interesting looks. I may be hearing impaired but I survive in a hearing world.
Posted by: M M
To be honest, these can be just a part of the process, and you should be ready for anything. Doesn't matter if you like them or not really. Just make sure your answer isn't a canned response. For example, greatest weekness should be followed up with what you're working on to correct it and if it's been fully successful (I want to lose weight and I've started working out. While not at the desired weight just yet, I can see improvements, so I'm going to keep at it until I hit that goal.) It's simple, obtainable, and fairly honest.Where do you want to be in 5 years. This is easy if you think about it. Seeing how you're applying to the job, hopefully, you look at it as more than a job and a possible career. That being said, in 5 years, you could hope to have worked hard enough to have your talents recognized to be next in line for position XYZ.Why should I hire you? Because out of all of the candidates that you've seen today, I'm certain that I can bring A, B, and C to the table. Based upon my past job experiences, I'm sure I'll be a great fit, a hard working employee, and a team player that you will welcome into your organization.I just made these up, but they're not rocket science. I know people have tendencies to hate questions like these, but they aren't terrible. Just take a moment to think, answer the question, then follow up after some time. If you don't get the job, ask for feedback why. Take the feedback, correct your weaknesses, if any, move on to the next opportunity. That's that. Just my .02.
Posted by: Rod H
I have actually answered the question-"what would be the first initiative you would enact after starting here?" and found that I actually gave them too many details about my action plan. Without hiring me, my plans were put into action for those companies without hiring me. So much for studying up on the company before interviewing.
Posted by: Stephanie W
I hate to admitted it, but those are the questions I dread the most. That, and if you have ever been discharged from a position even if it doesn't relate to the position you are applying for.
Posted by: Angel A
Here is one I hate, you've applied for a job in another town the drive is a distance, but why ask the applicant "Are you sure the drive to and from isn't going to wear you out?" Really, I applied for the job because I need one. I already know it is a distance, but you have to do what you have to do ...... Right?
Posted by: JoAnn B
I would like to know what you would say what your weakness is and why they should hire you.  I never know what to say when they ask me these questions.  also when they ask you if you have any questions for me meaning the interviewer.  Need an answer
Posted by: alexis w
Very helpful... Thank you
Posted by: Roxane G
I think generic answers are the best because employers can interpret your answers and use them as an indicator of your work ethic and hold you accountable for the answer you give.
Posted by: Charlotte W
when they ask you where you see yourself in 5 years they want to know if working at there company is where you really want to be or is it just at job till you find what you really want.  You need to say I would like to be working for you and I would like to move on up into a higher level position.
Posted by: Shawanna H
My toughest question that I have been asked multiple times and have always had trouble with is,Give me an example of a time where you had to do something you didn't agree with.or Why should we hire you?
Posted by: IRIS W
I think this writer hit this one on the head!! Those three questions are the one's I hate and never know what to say or don't know what the interviewer is looking for when those particular questions are asked. Yes, I do agree with the writer
Posted by: james s
NICE,REFRESHING.puts us in the frame of mind for interviewing.
Posted by: Robert C
The silliest question I was asked was, "Can you do this job drunk or sober?"
Posted by: Marries B
I hate when they ask you tell me a time where you went above and beyond at recent company?
Posted by: Debra R
With a possibility of changing careers, I do not know what I would be getting into. So I am not sure of how to answer these type of questions.
Posted by: Darrell W
I have faced all three of these questions. They stun me at first, but I still retain my composure and put a positive spin on the answer.
Posted by: Tenesha J
If i asked your old manager What would your manager say about you.
Posted by: Michaelene L
The question about weaknesses is a tough one.  First:  don't lie.  No one is perfect and the interviewer does not expect that you are.  Second, ask yourself:  will your weakness(es) affect the job that you are being interviewed for?  If not, then say so.  Third, give an example of one weakness that you identified in the recent past and then what you did to successfully resolve it, perhaps even turned it into an opportunity for advancement.
Posted by: Denise B
You did not give an example for "what is your greatest weakness?" Nor did you give one for "why should I hire you?"
Posted by: Denise B
It's hard to answer these questions without sounding like this job would be just something to get you through until you can find something better, and you may sound egotistical, depending on how you word your answers. I don't like these questions either!