We're sorry... This job has expired or been removed. It may have been filled or removed for some other reason. For your reference the original listing is shown at the bottom of this page.
Data Center Technician, Ashburn, VA
Infrastructure Operations is looking for talented individuals to take on the challenges of supporting a large distributed data center operation in Northern Virginia. Individual will be part of a dynamic group of technicians supporting the latest in hardware technology and design. Responsible for performing device break-fix activities, participate in the on-call rotation and provide on-site assistance for device installations. You act as the initial escalation point for junior technicians. You understand all aspects of the equipment you support. You know how to innovate and make decisions on his/her own, but also know how to take direction when it is given, paying attention to all details involved.
Provides operational support of several datacenter sites located in the greater Seattle area. Responsible for day to day activities, project work and capacity management Specific duties include:
* Hardware repair and replacement
* Compute rack installation
* Network and cable installation
* Provide 24/7 on call coverage on rotating schedule
* Assure security of facility and manage vendor access
* Monitoring site for capacity needs
* Manage work and priorities through ticketing system
* Manage parts inventory
* Participate in site level project work
* Provide leadership to junior team members
* Hands on experience with x86 architecture based systems
* Experience with Linux or similar OS
* Basic understanding of network install process
* Good knowledge of networking design and protocols
* Good understanding of storage devices
* Good understanding of scripting languages like perl, ksh, bourne, bash
* Must be capable of lifting up to 60lbs.
* Must have a valid drivers license and be able to pass background check
* Must be able to obtain an APS certification on the Proliant products and a CompTIA Server Plus Certification within first 3 months of hire date
Associate's degree in IT-related field plus two years of progressively responsible experience required.
Ideal candidates need to be familiar with the following:
* IT Hardware Concepts:
o x86 Architecture
* Linux/Unix Administration
o Boot Process
o File Systems
o Network device and protocol configuration
o Directory Structure
o Performance Management/Troubleshooting
o Base Operating System Install
o Scripting: Perl, Python, Bash
o Core OS Services: ssh, telnet, ftp, nfs, dns, dhcp, samba, ldap, cvs
* Networking Protocols (OSI Model)
* Copper/Fiber Optic Testing/Cabling Standards
* Additional Information
o Hands-on experience with one or more of the follow hardware platforms a plus: Rackable, HP, Dell.
o Data Center Technicians are required to possess or obtain within three months of hire, an APS certification on the Proliant products and a CompTIA Server Plus Certification.
o The position has a physical component requiring the ability to lift up to 75 lbs and may require working in cramped spaces or elevated locations.
o The responsibilities of the Data Center Technician extend beyond day to day Data Center operations to include: process improvements, peer training, and projects worked in conjunction with other groups inside Amazon.com.
o Amazon.com Data Center's are 24x7 environments. All interested candidates must be willing to work rotating shifts (day/night) as well as weekends. Data Center Technicians are also required to wear a pager for communication, information, emergency, and on-call situations.
o All candidates must possess a valid driver's license, their own vehicle, and will need to pass a driving record check to operate company vehicles. Travel between sites/locations during the workday may occur.
o Employment for all candidates is contingent upon pass a background check.