Job Posting Number:NE-9748 (E)
Please note this number on your resume
Location:MA - Waltham
Post Date:Monday, May 20, 2013
Close Date:Thursday, June 20, 2013
Job Responsibilities:To provide technical expertise and support from an engineering perspective to ensure effective National Grid the lower levels this can encompass a range of duties including coordination studies, fault studies, relay settings, disturbance investigations, protection reviews and repair, safety implementation and monitoring and participation in small and large scale engineering the higher levels this role will also develop protection policy, complex protection system design, complex disturbance investigations, audit support, protection industry committee participation. Provide protection designs that ensure effective operations and ensure other National Grid business units are provided with the appropriate technical expertise to meet local needs.
* Provide protection design and perform coordination and short circuit engineering studies, analysis and disturbance investigations, under supervision, in order to recommend corrective action in problem areas, or to prevent problems.
* Independently collate and analyze data using ASPEN, WaveWin, symmetrical components, and manufacturer equipment software in order to support the department?s decision making process.
* Execute instructions and requests, plan and organize resources and make appropriate arrangements to ensure that work is carried out efficiently and in line with relevant policies and processes.
* Test and challenge existing procedures and highlight areas for improvement in order to ensure they are robust.
* Develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders in order to obtain and share information that will benefit National Grid.
* Undertake specific tasks of varying complexity in order to support colleagues in the design of technical solutions.
* Build upon technical/professional skills within own area of specialism or of other processes in order to continually grow your personal contribution to the business.
* Perform simple coordination and short circuit studies under the direction of a senior protection engineer.
* Use systems, designs, specifications, standards, models and procedures in order to support design solutions and enhance safety, efficiency and operability and support local decision making.
* Under the guidance of a senior protection engineer, develop protection designs.
* Keep up to date with market/regulatory developments within own profession/discipline in order to ensure the optimization of best practice for National Grid.
* Challenge existing ways of working and continuously seek ways to do things better in order to drive greater efficiencies within assigned area.
* Implement procedural best practice in order to ensure all working practice (and where relevant, health and safety standards) are compliant with National Grid policies and regulatory requirements.
* Ability to travel overnight outside the normal work area for special events or emergencies.
* Ablility to work overtime including nights/weekend/holidays for special events or emergencies.
* A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Technology from an ABET accredited engineering school with up to 2 years of related experience in an entry-level position, or equivalent work experience.
* Knowledge of National Grid's business operations, company policies and practices.
* Knowledge of relevant industry practice, standards and legislation.
Notes:TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, PLEASE VISIT AND SEARCH REFERENCE CODE "NE-9748E" OR "PROTECTION ENGINEER".