Requisition Number: FS84562
Interest Category: Operations & Maintenance
Interest Sub Category: Operations & Maintenance
Job Title : Waste Operator
Employment Category/Status: full-time
Type of Position: Regular Hire
Minimum Requirements: Basic Qualifications:
• High school diploma/equivalent and 1 year industrial Plant Operator or Hazardous Waste/Materials handling experience
• Certified chemical demilitarization Munitions Handler or ESA/DPE Tender with 1 year in the position.
• Must be computer literate in common software applications and able to operate general office equipment
• Heavy Truck experience and able to obtain and maintain a commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with HazMat endorsement
• Must be a US or naturalized citizen able to obtain and maintain PCAPP site access
• Knowledge of operations in areas exhibiting chemical contamination, including contamination control and decontamination practices
• Ability to exercise good judgment in performance of duties
• Ability to operate forklift/forktruck or material handling lifting devices
• Demonstrated experience working in a procedurally compliant environment
• Demonstrated experience working in an environmental and safety compliant environment
• Hazardous waste or hazardous materials experience
• Possess an active Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with a hazardous materials endorsement
Job Description: • Perform all work safely and with the utmost concern for the safety of self and other employees.
• Perform all work in compliance with environmental permits and regulations.
• May be required to work overtime or varying hours.
• Be at work when scheduled and maintain a good attendance record.
• Work in close proximity to and or in a chemical demilitarization facility.
• Performs hazardous waste worker duties in permitted or regulated facilities. Duties may involve one or more of the following: Movement, containerization, storage, identification, record keeping, emergency response and/or disposing of hazardous waste.
• Operates local and remote controlled equipment used in the movement of hazardous and non-hazardous wastes.
• Operates and monitors instrumentation i.e., flow meters, temperature/pressure gauges and control panels, assesses data/conditions, and acts accordingly to perform assigned duties to meet regulatory, waste management, safety, environmental, and operations requirements.
• Performs system/equipment reviews, valve/switch alignments, and operational documentation as required for waste transfer through tanks, pumps, and filters.
• Processes agent contaminated and non-agent contaminated secondary waste (including sludge) through the Toxic Maintenance Area (TMA).
• Performs field-testing of waste streams as necessary for characterization using pH meters and hydrometers.
• Performs and documents inspections of all hazardous waste storage areas. Implements corrective actions, as necessary, and makes notifications to management in areas needing attention.
• Loads and unloads hazardous and recyclable waste. Operates vehicles and heavy equipment to transport hazardous waste as required. Packages and repackages/overpacks hazardous waste.
• Coordinates with other plant personnel (Operations, Maintenance, Laboratory, etc.) for pickup/transfer of hazardous waste Works with other plant personnel to ensure that hazardous waste is correctly labeled, packaged, loaded, stored, and transferred/transported.
• Participates in the HAZMAT/Decon teams, as necessary.
• Participates in Waste Management and environmental surveillances and audits.
• Reviews plant operations, waste management data, and waste management reports to assess and recommend improvements in the areas of waste minimization and environmental compliance.
• Represents the Waste Management organization as a technical expert concerning waste management activities.
• Wears various levels of Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) in the performance of job duties.
• Works in close proximity to hazardous chemicals, chemical agents and decontamination solution. Must be able to acknowledge and respond to emergency situations.
• Works extensively in environments with elevated temperatures.
• Maintains accountability of property.
• Assists with the development and/or review of standard operating procedures and maintenance procedures associated with the operation and maintenance of assigned systems as required.
• Prepare work authorizations and safety permits pertaining to Operations Waste Management (OWM) tasks.
• Make exclusion area and toxic entries as required.
• Complete all associated logbook entries, decontamination certification data sheets, DD Form 2271, sample transfer forms and other documentation as required.
• Prepare hazardous material classification documentation as required to support material transfer to waste management areas.
• Maintain modified Level A certification.
• Perform daily, weekly, and monthly RCRA inspections.
• Prepare work permits, safety permits, and work authorizations.
• Conduct waste sampling as required.
• Assist Process Supervisor – Waste in maintaining waste accumulation areas.
• Must obtain/maintain RCRA Hazardous Materials Management training certification.
• Must obtain/maintain US DOT training to ship hazardous waste/materials.
• Must obtain/maintain current lift truck license and overhead crane certification.
• Operate Secondary Decontamination Unit (SDU) and Autoclave.
**This position is designated as a chemical duty position and is subject to the requirements of the Chemical Personnel Reliability Program. As a condition of employment, candidates and incumbents must favorably complete a personnel security investigation, urinalysis testing, medical exam and respiratory screening, and must meet and maintain personnel suitability and reliability requirements established by Army Regulation 50-6.**