Results-driven Executive with diverse destination-oriented success in strengthening market position, revenue and profitability. Expertise spans P&L/general management, sales and marketing, turnarounds, operations and business development. * Reversed $••••• million loss and improved net operating income $••••• million in < 1 year. * Restructured organization, generating growth from $••••• million to $••••• million in convention sales and securing $••••• million in new funding through targeted marketing, product branding, marketing and business development initiatives. * Launched startup, propelling revenue from $•••••K to $1+ million; surpassed sales/profit goals for •••••+ years. Strong leader who devises/executes strategic plans, reengineers operations and builds alliances to revitalize organizations. * Led turnaround; increased revenue from $•••••K to $•••••K+ in ••••• months by reorganizing operations/marketing; eliminated debt and built operating cash reverse of $•••••K. * Designed and implemented legislative affairs program, resulting in $••••• million in funding over 8 years. Business strategist adept at building high-performance teams, resolving problems and leading positive change. * Developed and managed 1st of-its-kind Pacific Rim symposium/trade show; generated $••••• million revenue in 1st year, surpassing objective by •••••%; secured ••••• international sponsors; directed team of ••••• with •••••+ indirect reports. * Formulated strategic plan for •••••acre development; $••••• million project is currently under development.
MBA - Marketing, University of Missouri, ••••• BA - Management, Webster University, ••••• Available for relocation. CAE, Certified Association Executive.
President & CEO: THE LANGLEY GROUP, INC., Kansas City, MO •••••Present
* President & CEO, Norfolk, VA Convention and Visitors Bureau. As President I managed a total reorganization. Hired and trained ••••• new staff members. Expanded marketing and product development. Designed and ran the new city brand image campaign. Boosted funding $••••• million and occupancy tax collections •••••%; developed new products and tourist events; tripled convention and meetings bookings•••••
* Warsaw, MO. Developed a strategic plan for tourism development with plans for a ••••• acre development and coordinated government affairs program. Results: •••••hole championship golf course and ••••• room resort lodge, and upscale, second homes in the initial stages of development. Created development incentives: tax increment financing, transportation development districts, and community improvement districts.
* Branson, MO and the Andy Williams Theatre. Devised the Cultural Sensitivity Program which taught marketers and employees how to provide and sell quality services to multi-cultural audiences. Results: More culturally sensitive theatre productions and marketing programs.
* Americas Heartland. Reorganized this international tourism marketing association. Results: •••••% revenue increase from private sector investment and government grants in under ••••• months. Set up the first European marketing programs. Increased tourism visits 9% and tourism spending •••••% in a declining Canada to U. S. market.
* Walla Walla, WA. Rebranded the community including an aggressive public relations campaign targeting national media. Results: New York Times, Walla Street Journal, Bon Apetite, Food and Wine, and Sunset feature articles. Spearheaded getting the National Trust for Historic Preservation to name Walla Walla one of Americas ••••• Distinctive Destinations. Won the national Main Street Award. Result: Annual •••••%+ lodgings tax growth rate, reversing a years long decline.
* Missouri Public Transit Association. Developed the first legislative affairs program. Results: Dedicated state funding for the transit industry and new federal earmarks for the states rural transit providers. Total new funding for members exceeded $•••••,•••••,••••• Governor-appointed to the Total Transportation Commission. This Commission developed the long range public transportation plan for Missouri that is in use today.
President & CEO: PARK BOARD OF TRUSTEES; Galveston, Texas •••••
The Park Board of Trustees is a governmental entity created by the Texas legislature to direct all Galveston tourism activities. With a budget of $••••• million, a full-time staff of •••••, and ••••• seasonal employees, the President oversees the operation, maintenance, and restoration of ••••• miles of beaches; operates six major recreational parks that host 3,•••••,••••• visitors annually; coordinates government affairs at the federal, state, and local level, develops and implements the overall marketing plan for the community; manages the Conventions and Visitors Bureau; and oversee the creation and operations of community wide special events, including Mardi Gras!Galveston.
Major Accomplishments * Redeployed the organization into four key function groups. Results: $1,•••••,••••• improvement in net operating income and the first balanced budget in three years. * Revamped the convention marketing effort. Results: •••••% increase in group bookings in the first ••••• days. Increased group bookings •••••% in < 1 year, hotel tax collections •••••% (5x target) and increased funding $1 million. * Handled government affairs for $••••• million in public/private development projects and major beach restoration initiative. * First CVB in Texas to implement a city-wide yield management program for the hotel industry.
Vice-President - Marketing: LONG BEACH CVB, LONG BEACH, CA ••••• * Revamped the Convention Sales Team, adding positions in New York and Washington, DC. First industry marketing campaign of its kind - •••••;Murder on The Queen Mary.•••••; Result: Doubled the number of tentative and definite convention bookings in six months.
CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU OF GREATER KANSAS CITY •••••
Vice-President of Marketing Designed the first comprehensive marketing plan for Kansas City. Managed Convention Sales, Tourism, and Communications Divisions with a staff of ••••• and a $••••• million budget. Redesigned personnel incentive and training programs. Result: •••••% increase in convention bookings (reversing a 5 year decline) with no more staff. Used Community based advisory committees to develop the first marketing program to minority customers.
Director of Tourism With a broad cross-section of the community designed the citys first comprehensive strategic plan for the leisure segment of the travel industry. Coordinated the advertising. Supervised all pr: news releases, media relations, publications, and industry presentations. Representated the Bureau in the community. First community wide strategic plan for tourism development. Result: National Urban Travel Marketing Award by the Travel Industry Association of America.