••••• Summary of Qua•••••fications
An experienced materials engineer / metallurgist with estab•••••shed expertise in materials selection and design, materials characterization (metallography, fractography, optical and electron microscopy), testing of mechanical properties (hardness, strength, deformation, fracture, fatigue), failure (static, cyc•••••c, environment/corrosion) analysis and prevention, heat treatment and manufacturing processes; plus computer control/programming skills in materials engineering; with Doctorate degree in Materials Engineering.••••• Major Work Experience
•••••present: Materials Engineer Global Nitinol Technologies, Charlottesville, VA
* Making market investigation / •••••terature survey for new materials and product research, and drafting development proposals / plans;
* Performing alloy design through chemical alloying, heat-treating / thermal-mechanical processing, microstructural matching, and physical/mechanical property testing / performance verification, and developing specifications for target app•••••cations;
* Conducting failure analysis of materials through alloying and microstructural characterization, fractographical observation, fracture mechanics and statistical calculations, corrosion or other environment effect evaluation and app•••••cation history diagnosis, and drawing corrective solutions / preventions.
* Leading va•••••dation of test procedures and protocols per industrial standards and app•••••cation requirements, troubleshooting technical problems and examining alloy/product defects to meet designated requirements.
* Responsible for reporting to production management.••••••••••: Research Engineer Aluminum Metallurgy & Processing, Ann Arbor, MI
(Incorporation w/ GMC)
* Technical field included forming of automotive aluminum sheet alloys for improved formabi•••••ty, forming defects corrections and design of new forming techniques and superplastic alloys.
* Responsibi•••••ties were sheet sample preparation, forming operational testing, post-forming performance examination and defect identification, alloy composition and process specification, qua•••••fication of forming parts per ASTM standards and/or GMC requirements.••••••••••: Engineer - Institute for Metallurgy, Aachen, Germany
* Among major accomp•••••shments were alloying and stress-strain effects on mild steel parts, mechanisms of secondary work embrittlement and development of a new deep-drawing process to enhance fracture toughness of IF steel sheets.
* Responsible for market analysis, alloy design proposal, metallurgical examination, testing of mechanical properties, technical documentation, protocol effectiveness and efficiency verification, and interfacing with production management from Volkswagen companies.••••• Skills Attained / Equipment Fami•••••arized
* In Materials Science & Engineering: mechanical testing (hardness, deformation, fracture, fatigue, etc.) using harness testers, Instron / MTS testing systems w/ computer-aided FTA programs, testing standards and procedures (ASTM, ASME, etc.), metallography using samp•••••ng machines and optical and electron microscopes, fractography using optical travel microscope and scanning electron microscope (SEM), heat-treating using regular/resistance heating and induction heating furnaces/faci•••••ties and thermal controllers, thermal desorption spectroscopy (TDS) using Quadrupole gas analyzers, environment testing using Tribodyn and/or Cryo high vacuum pumps, corrosion evaluation using Potentiostat Controllers, H-charging devices and plating fixtures, and fracture mechanics and failure analysis procedures
* In Computer Technology: Windows & Mac operating systems, MS Office, AutoCAD, Oracle, PL/SQL, C•••••, Java, VB, ASP, HTML••••• Education
Ph. D. Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China (•••••)
Engineering > materials science and engineering
M. Sc. University of Northern Virginia, Falls Church, VA (•••••)
Science > computer science•••••