Over twenty years experience, including seventeen years as a consultant / contractor. Strong business analysis, systems analysis and systems design skills, with the ability to analyze business needs and propose solutions. Strong RDBMS design and implementation skills, including transaction systems and data warehouses. A wide range of other implementation experience including Java and the World Wide Web, EDI, C coding, and hardware control. Experience as lead designer and/or technical team lead on many projects.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.)
BS in Computer Science
Boston University, MET College
Graduate courses in formal languages and compilers
ORACLE (PL/SQL, SQL*Plus, SQL*Forms, SQL*ReportWriter, SQL*Menu, SQL*Loader, Embedded C, C-HLI, DBA functions, CASE*Designer, CASE*Dictionary); Microsoft SQL-Server (Enterprise Manager, Transact-SQL); SYBASE (ISQL, BCP, APT-FORMS, Report Writer, C libraries, DBA functions); Microsoft Access; Sybase SQL Anywhere; INGRES (OSL, VIFRED, RBF, Report Writer, DBA functions)
Informatica PowerCenter ••••• (PowerCenter class plus some implementation experience). Business Objects (exposure to universe design and report creation). Microstrategy (developer class). TOAD. IIS and Apache web servers. Familiar with issues in the area of large-scale client/server architecture. Electronic Commerce: EDI transactions, X••••• translators and programming. Design methodologies: Entity-Relationship diagrams, Gane & Sarson process flow diagrams, structured design techniques, data dictionaries. Experience with various CASE tools, including ER-WIN and Oracle Designer. Third-party RDBMS tools: JYACC screen package, SQR report writer. Some familiarity with desktop publishing tools.
Sun••••• and Sparc (SunOS UNIX), Pyramid (UNIX), Silicon Graphics (IRIX), VAX (VMS), HP••••• (UNIX), PCs (Windows, NT), XENIX, SCO UNIX), AT&T 3B2 (UNIX), Verifone Emerald POS terminal (GEMIX). Microprocessors: •••••, •••••, •••••, Z•••••, •••••
2/••••• - 2/••••• PFIZER INC., Groton, CT
* Worked on design, implementation and enhancement of a data warehouse that consolidates financial data (GL, AP, PO, etc.) from Pfizers research and development operations in the US, UK, France and Japan (with an annual budget of $4 billion). Was technical team leader in charge of the data warehouse implementation. Following the initial implementation led the technical team responsible for maintaining and enhancing the data warehouse over its four-year life span.
* Among the areas addressed were:
* Implementation and enhancement of design based on Ralph Kimball star schema approach, with type••••• dimensions.
* Design and implementation of ETL architecture for validating and loading data from external systems, including error reports down to the level of record, column and value. Implemented primarily in PL/SQL, with more recent functions in Informatica.
* Data integrity checks via control totals.
* Reconciliation functions and reports, to verify the contents of the warehouse against the source systems.
* Functions to roll up the base transaction tables to the central Fact table and additional aggregate tables.
* Expansion of the dimension tables and data volumes to accommodate Pfizers merger with Warner Lambert.
* Support for reporting via Business Objects.
* Performance tuning and optimization of the database, including partitioning, parallelization, creation and maintenance of indexes, and adjustments to database parameters.
* Integration with data from employee time tracking system (Artemis).
* Integration with planning and forecasting tools (TM1, and later, Adaytum).
* Outgoing data feeds to ••••• downstream systems.
* Support for the different fiscal calendars used in the US vs. other countries.
* Foreign currency conversions.
* Loading and displaying data in the Japanese character set (JA•••••SJIS).
* ••••• x 5 availability, supporting users in Japan, Europe, the UK, and throughout the US.
* Client applications for data entry and administration in Visual Basic (VB) using ADO and Microsoft Access.
* Version 1 (2/••••• - 8/•••••): Microsoft SQL-Server •••••, with BCP and Transact-SQL used for data loading and validation procedures.
* Version 2 (9/••••• - 1/•••••): System was migrated to Oracle ••••• (later 8I); SQL*Loader; PL/SQL; Informatica; NT scheduler and command scripts.
* Also participated in the design of, and transition to, a new data warehouse with wider scope and increased functionality. The design of this warehouse was based on the Bill Inmon / Corporate Information Factory approach, utilizing a central data warehouse with type••••• dimensions, and multiple data marts for subject area / departmental reporting. Tasks included knowledge transfer, design review, and migration/validation of the downstream system interfaces. Analyzed and validated Informatica maps used by the downstream systems to load data from the new warehouse.
9/••••• - 1/••••• PFIZER, INC., Groton, CT
* Completed and enhanced a data entry/workflow application for creating Requisitions and querying Purchase Orders, for company-wide access via an intranet. System utilized a •••••tier architecture consisting of application screens, an application server and a backend database. Work included designing and implementing screens, application server transactions, and database modifications. Screens were written using the Java Abstract Windows Toolkit (AWT), with Microsoft Visual J••••• as the development environment. Application server transactions were written using Microsoft Visual C•••••. The database is Microsoft SQL Server ••••• Also wrote Java servlet for uploading files from browser.
* Developed a web-based data entry application for financial analysts, using Microsoft SQL Server, IIS and ASP.
6/••••• - 9/••••• [worked for several clients an independent consultant, part-time and full-time]
ECHOMEDIA, INC., Newport, RI
GIGA INFORMATION GROUP, INC., Norwell, MA
* Worked on new version of GigaWeb (see below) that replaced dynamic web page generation via Transact-SQL stored procedures with dynamic generation via Java programs. The Java program ran in a Java server outside the database, improving performance and increasing deployment flexibility. Participated in redesign of functionality and data model. Implemented revisions to database and writing Java programs to generate new pages.
BAUDWAY COMMUNICATIONS, INC., Boston, MA
* Revised music publishers website, targeted at producers wishing to license songs. Designed and implemented database tables to store content. Loaded new data, and wrote Oracle stored procedures and HTML pages to implement new version of the site. Functions include song search by title, writer, recording artist and song topic; dynamic retrieval of song writers and recording artists; generation of song detail page from the database, including links to sample recordings (in Real Audio). Data was pre-processed using C shell and Perl scripts, and loaded into the database using Oracles SQL*Loader. Site functionality was programmed in PL/SQL stored procedures launched from CGI scripts.
PRISM HEALTH GROUP, INC., Boston, MA
* Performed analysis, then designed and implemented a database application for storing healthcare outcomes measures. Analyzed two existing systems to ensure that the new database would be as compatible as possible, to allow for future integration into a single enterprise-wide system. Tools used: S-Designer AppModeler •••••, Powerbuilder •••••, Sybase SQL Anywhere •••••
BAUDWAY COMMUNICATIONS, INC., Boston, MA
* Consultant to a website targeted to musicians and music fans. Designed and implemented Oracle database tables, stored procedures and web pages to support desired new features. Functionality included get/set member profile data, generation of custom pages and complex search mechanisms. Implemented in Oracle PL/SQL under UNIX (SunOS), accessed via the Apache web server.
* Designed and implemented an Oracle database to support web-based song and recording licensing. The database stores information on songs, songwriters, song publishers, recordings, recording artists, and record labels. Wrote a complex search mechanism that allowed users to locate songs and recordings by numerous criteria.
URL: ••••• Also maintained web server configuration files, wrote numerous utility Perl and C-shell utility scripts, and debugged a proprietary database gateway written in C.
GIGA INFORMATION GROUP, INC., Norwell, MA
* Member of a team that implemented a web-based publication system for authoring IT research reports and automatically making them available via a web site. Responsible for the SQL-Server Transact-SQL scripts that generate •••••% of the web pages that the user sees.
* Functions that were designed and implemented included: functions to get/set user profile data, interface to text search engine, concept searching, ability to define custom user searches, automatic execution of user searches and notification of results via e-mail.
* Implemented using Windows-NT and Microsoft SQL-Server, with HTML pages dynamically generated by Transact-SQL stored procedures.
* Migrated subscriber database from Microsoft Access to Microsoft SQL Server.
A BOSTON AREA HOSPITAL
* Investigated and evaluated firewall topologies and products to enhance the security of this sites connection to the Internet. The configuration includes e-mail, news and Web page. A firewall product was selected, evaluated and accepted. Evaluation included a set of tests that exercised the firewalls configuration options.
HEALTHCARE EDI COALITION, Little Rock, AR
* Implemented a basic World Wide Web home page.
6/••••• •••••/••••• PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC., Waltham, MA
* Member of a team that defined an enterprise-wide standard IT architecture to encompass GUI and character-based front ends, a transaction monitor, and Oracle and Progress databases. Legacy systems will be integrated with new databases and applications. Participated in numerous vendor presentations and wrote product evaluations/analyses. Architecture included client development tools, application servers, database servers and middleware.
* Implemented a prototype public Web page for PHCS, based on the CERN web server. Implemented a Web version of an existing electronic transaction that verifies a members eligibility; a fill-in form was connected via Perl to the back-end process that processes eligibility verification requests.
* Analyzed how the Internet/Web might be used to improve PHCSs business processes.
* Involved in the design and implementation of a new enrollment database in Oracle, to be fed regularly from numerous external sources. Wrote a •••••line Perl program to generate test cases.
* Evaluated ANSI X••••• translators and selected one for use by PHCS. Implemented an in-bound translation of the ••••• (Benefit and Enrollment) and an out-bound translation to the ••••• (Application Advice) and ••••• (Acknowledgment). Implemented a suite of ••••• tests to verify all aspects of the translations.
* Helped design and implement the PHCS EDI Gateway, which receives and processes EDI transactions from the PHCS Provider Workstation, as well as third-party transaction switches. Implemented in ANSI C on a Silicon Graphics platform.
* Architect/project leader on the design and implementation of the PHCS Provider Workstation, using a Verifone point-of-sale device to provide physicians with the ability to enter and transmit healthcare claims. Subsequently added eligibility inquiry and referral authorization transactions. Implemented on a Verifone Emerald in ANSI C.
•••••/••••• - 6/••••• GTECH CORPORATION, West Greenwich, RI
* Performed business analysis, then designed and implemented an employee time card database; including entry screens, maintenance and configuration screens, payroll roll-up and reporting by various categories. Implemented in Sybase on an HP•••••, using SQR for reports and JAM for screens.
•••••/••••• - •••••/••••• FUSION SYSTEMS GROUP, LTD., New York, NY
* Participated in the business analysis and was lead designer/programmer of a sales tracking and reporting system for radio commercials at ABC Radio Networks in New York City. The system tracks sales and produces complex sales reports, and interfaces with a scheduling and accounting system. Implemented in SYBASE on a VAX (VMS), using SYBASE tools for screens and reports. Met the project goal of putting the system into production by the start of the new fiscal year.
* Lead designer/analyst/programmer on a system that calculates and provides reporting facilities for mutual fund transfer agent fees at Fidelity Investments in Boston. Implemented in SYBASE on a Sun Sparc under UNIX.
* Modified and extended reports to provide fund managers at Fidelity with monthly security performance statistics. Implemented in SYBASE on a sun 3/•••••
•••••/••••• - 9/••••• CHARLES RIVER DEVELOPMENT, Boston, MA
* Project manager and lead designer on •••••month project to redesign IBM mainframe payroll, accounting and inventory applications, and implement them in ORACLE on a VAX under VMS. Used CRDs Data-Station CASE tool to generate designs for each subsystem, including an Entity-Relationship diagram, Gane & Sarson process flow diagram, detailed deliverable specifications, and prototype screens. Documented data elements and entities using the CASE tool. Oversaw implementation and testing. Met the project goal of removing the IBM machine when its lease expired.
* Lead designer/programmer on a •••••month project to develop a health care services database for use in a telephone reference service. Implemented a database and a set of query screens in ORACLE on an IBM PC/AT.
* Implemented a complex sales lead allocation program for a brokerage firm on an IBM PC/AT compatible running XENIX. Implemented in C using ORACLEs Embedded SQL extensions. Also wrote shell scripts to encrypt the data files containing the leads and automatically distribute them to branch office over the phone via UUCP.
* Lead designer/programmer on a •••••month project to develop a job tracking and work document generation system for an electric utility. Analyzed user requirements, produced a data model and a set of prototype screens, supervised implementation, and did a portion of the programming. Implemented in INGRES and C on an AT&T 3B2 running UNIX.
* Lead designer/programmer on a •••••month project to develop a financial tracking and document generation system for the U.S. Army Materials Technology Lab, using INGRES, C and DCL on a VAX. This system provided screen entry of several standard government forms, database storage, output on standard pre-printed forms, and extraction of cost data to generate financial reports. Wrote an administrators manual and a users guide, and trained users in a series of classes.
••••• - ••••• WANG LABORATORIES, Lowell, MA
* Wrote a PC device driver that controlled an expanded memory card.
* Ported an image display program from a bit-mapped display to a Wang PIC PC screen based on the Intel ••••• Graphic Display Controller chip.
* Maintained and enhanced the Mark Williams C compiler, which Wang had purchased. Modified it to generate information required by Wangs source-level debugger.
* Developed a "make" software regeneration utility identical to the UNIX utility, with extensions.
* Completed and tested an IEEE floating point library in ••••• assembly language.
* Wrote Z••••• assembly language to control a fax device. Also wrote a complete application that allowed the user to create (scan) and print fax documents.
••••• C. ••••• 7